News, Reviews, and everything SNL

Friday, September 25, 2009

Weekend Update Thursday 9/24/09

Ok, here is my review and analysis of the 2nd installment of SNL Weekend Update Thursday:

Opening -- I LOVED this. It was such a good parody of Obama, as well as the conservatives. SNL is widely known to have a problem when it comes to making fun of Obama. One of the main issues is that Fred Armisen doesn't even resemble President Obama. However, this was a very creative way to take a shot at his talk show appearances, and his disdain for Fox News. The guests who 'interviewed' Obama in this sketch were fantastic. I especially liked Bobby as Guy Fieri. That was just priceless. But basically everyone did well in this sketch. Jason as Glenn Beck was hilarious, and of course Bill Hader's Keith Morrison scored huge laughs. Oh, and we have a Nasim Pedrad sighting! She did her Kathy Griffin impression, and I thought it was very good. She made an excellent first impression on me. Overall, a fantastic opening.

Weekend Update 1, 2, & 3 -- I lump all the Update segments together, because they seemed to all be very similar. None of them really impressed me. The jokes were just average, and the guests were good but not great. Patterson was just ok for me. Sure, I love a good New Jersey joke as much as the next guy, but the impression is wearing on me now. Just not as good as before. Bill Clinton was the best guest of the night. Darrell has been doing this impression for what seems like a lifetime, yet it never seems to get old. Darrell's back again tonight, so I'm almost certain that he'll be back to start the season on Saturday. Overall however, Update didn't impress me too much. Megan Fox showed up, which was good to see. The more I see her and hear her interviews, the more I think she'll do a good job hosting this weekend. Oh, and Andy Samberg's character at the end of Update wasn't that good, and on top of that it went on for far too long.

There was a lot to like as a whole, especially after seeing that fantastic cold opening sketch. I'm really liking the current cast, and Nasim's appearance tonight only helps that. I'm really hoping for more good stuff for the "real show" this Saturday night.
What did you think? Good episode tonight? Are you psyched for the premiere?

No comments:

Post a Comment